There are two new Oribe travel trios that just launched from Birchbox. I've been a lover of all things Oribe for a long time but if you're like me you probably try items from the line piece by piece due to the splurgy prices. The two sets contain travel sizes of some styling products. One is called the Volume Set ($58) and the other is the Surf Set ($55). I die for minis so I think these two sets are just perfect. Both come in a compact clear zip case to hold for travel. All have that signature soft Oribe scent which is hard to describe but smells very distinct and heavenly.
First up is the Volume Set ($58, valued at $66) which contains three styling products for volume. I'm pretty low maintenance on my hair when it comes to volumizing because I have thick hair to begin with. Sometimes I like to use a texturizing product on the ends to add a bit of oomph to the hair, but I'm big on having soft touchable hair. Lots of volumizing products are great at adding volume but make the hair crunchy. Oribe manages to add volume but keep the hair still relatively soft.
In this set are purse-sized minis of:
- Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse (2.5 oz) - This is a shake and dispense kind of foamy product that you apply to damp hair before styling. I use this before blow drying my hair and it adds volume throughout like nothing else I've tried. Hair is full and voluminous after using this one. My hair was left with some texture but still soft. On my hair the volume lasted all day long when I tried this in the morning. It really gives the hair a boost at the roots (which is what I look for when I do look for added volume).
- Thick Dry Finishing Spray (2.2 oz) - This is a product designed to add a boost to your hair if your hair is prone to getting limp after a blow dry. Out of all the Oribe products I've tried this is one of the few that didn't really do much for my hair - but there is a chance I'm not using this correctly. I've tried this a number of ways - after a blow dry, as a refresher, as a touch up product, before going out. It doesn't really add volume or oomph. It does act like a hair refresher if it's a tiny bit shiny at the scalp area. If you've used this please let me know how you use it! Based on reviews I've read, if you have fine hair you will see results. For those with thicker hair like mine, you might not see much of a difference.
- Dry Texturizing Spray (2.2 oz) - This is one of my favorite hair texturizing products EVER. It's part dry shampoo and part texturizer - I wash my hair daily but sometimes when it gets a bit oily this is the best oil absorber that doesn't turn my hair white/grey/dusty looking. I know all dry shampoos say to brush out the product and that the white will disappear. Not all dry shampoos are the same and many make my hair look dusty and grey. The one from Oribe just works. It adds texture and volume and smells incredible.
Next is the Surf Set ($55) which I really adore. This one has items that are good for creating that slightly undone beachy kind of hair look. My hair has a slight natural wave - when I air dry it, it often gets very big and frizzy. Two of these are miracle workers.
In this set you get:
- Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse (2.5 oz) - This is a mousse product that feels on the sticky side on the hands. I find this one best used on wet or damp hair and it will give your hair the perfect piecey-beachy kind of textured hair. I found it easy to overdo so I recommend using as little as possible. You do have to give it a good shake before you dispense. I love the results when using this either blow dried or air dried. Hair is left soft but still feels like there's some texture in it. For me this is more on the high maintenance side so I probably wouldn't use this on a regular basis.
- Après Beach Wave and Shine Spray (2.1 oz) - Is a product that is similar to the Surfcomber in the sense it gives your hair that beachy tousled look, but gives the hair a bit of natural shine. The Après Beach Wave and Shine Spray is my favorite beach-hair kind of styling product. I apply it to the hair after washing and towel drying. I let the hair air dry and the result is a natural wavy frizz-free textured kind of look. I really love this one.
- Supershine Moisturizing Cream (1.7 fl oz) - This is just as the name implies. It adds shine and moisture to the hair making it look healthy. It adds shine without getting too heavy or greasy looking (even by late afternoon or evening). It helps tame flyaways and reduces frizz. I find it helps a lot when my ends get dry looking or feeling. It's like magic in a tube. I use it as a styling/finishing product best, but it also works as a pre-blowout kind of product to work through damp hair.
Both sets are winners in my opinion. I've rarely been let down by anything I've tried from Oribe. The only item I'm not 100% in love with is the Thick Dry Finishing Spray - but I need to consult one of my friends on how to use it as I'm pretty sure I'm not using it correctly. I would buy the full size of all other items (I have multiples in the mini sizes).
You can find the Surf Set ($55) and Volume Set ($58) online at Birchbox. You can buy most of the items in the travel size separately, but you do get a bit of a price break by buying the sets. There's also the Purse Collection ($72) online which has minis of the Superfine Hair Spray, Dry Texturizing Spray, Apres beach Spray and Anti-Humidity Spray.
I highly recommend both sets, they each focus on achieving different looks for the hair, but you can't go wrong with either. I love the travel sizes in general because they're really cute. Even is something is phenomenal and comes with high ratings, I still like to try smaller sizes first.
Do you have any Oribe favorites? Please let me know! I die for the Cleansing Creme.
Both Oribe sets sent courtesy of Birchbox for review consideration.