The NARS Summer Collection for 2016 launched a few weeks ago and it features some of the prettiest soft natural colors for a summer theme and the neutral-beauty lover in me is beyond thrilled. I received a few press samples and also purchased a couple items to review. The colors I picked out for the most part are very different from the traditional bright, bold or bronze shades we see for summer collections, but they are shades you can wear year round. The colors are easy to wear and can be mixed with bolder brighter shades. Colors featured above include:
- Dual Intensity Blush in Sexual Content $45 (c/o) has a soft peach and light mauve pink shimmer, I feel like I've been searching for a blush combo like this for my whole life, it has a very natural looking shimmer and I am a bit bummed it's limited-edition, I will be buying a backup of this one, it's a nude pink/peach on the cheeks that shows up on my medium skin, pigment is really rich but in a natural way
- Dual Intensity Blush in Liberation $45 (c/o) is a shimmering light pink and medium rose with warm tones, the shimmer is a bit more visible on this one compared to the lighter summer option, but it's not overly frosted, this one pulls a bit warmer on my skin but doesn't turn orangey, finish is smooth and doesn't emphasize pores
- Dual Intensity Eyeshadow in Topless $29 (c/o) is a light seashell pink with a very natural sheen, it has smooth pigment and is easy to blend, I would say pigment is medium but can be sheered out, shimmer is visible but it has a natural looking shimmer
- Lip Cover in Get Dirty $28 is a new formula which is like a liquid lipstick, these are full coverage creamy lip colors that have a soft sheen in the finish, but have a velvety feel, Get Dirty is a medium warm rose, it almost looks peachy on me
- Lip Cover in Overheated $28 is a full coverage dusty rose, it's cooler-toned than Get Dirty, the color looks darker swatched on the arm compared to the way it looks once on my lips, but it's still a medium toned neutral
A closer look at the shades plus swatch comparisons:
Comparison Set 1:
NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Sexual Content (summer 2016)
NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Liberation (summer 2016)
Comparison Set 2:
Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Emerville
Comparison Set 3:
Buxom Wildly Whipped Liquid Lipstick in Centerfold
Urban Decay High Color Lipgloss in Kinky
MAC Lipglass in Lust
Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Gloss in Kristen
Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Stripped
A quick look per request with the warmer shades, Becca Aqualuminous in Beige is on the skin, for color it's NARS Topless Dual Intensity Eyeshadow, Urban Decay Naked2 Palette (mix of colors), NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Liberation both shades mixed and blended, NARS Lip Cover in Get Dirty.
All the colors are shades I want to wear everyday. I think the Dual Intensity Blush in Sexual Content is one of the prettiest neutrals for blush that I've ever seen. I am thrilled it's on the nude side but still shows up on the skin. Liberation is also a very pretty combination that is wearable. It has a softer feel compared to Fervor. For those new to the Dual Intensity formula - they are really very unique, it's like a hybrid powder and cream with a smooth texture that adheres well to the skin. They glide on like creams but aren't really like traditional emollient creams. Most of the items for eyes and cheeks are all shimmery - but there are varying degrees of shimmer. The colors in the summer collection have a softer shimmer compared to some other shades. Lasting power is excellent for my normal/combination skin and the shades don't emphasize pores.
For the Dual Intensity Eyeshadow in Topless, I though it would be almost identical to Andromeda or Europa, but it has enough shimmer and a different base to justify owning if you already have the other two. Tom Ford Opale by comparison is similar, but NARS Topless has a bit more pink.
For the lips I really like the new Lip Cover formula but it is extremely opaque so if your lips have any dry flakes or patches they will show up with this one, but it would be the case with any full coverage opaque lipstick. The colors are full coverage but not heavy feeling and they stayed with impressive lasting power. I would have preferred a clear packaging for the base like the Lip Gloss formulas so I can see the color inside rather than having to look at the labels but it's not a deal breaker. I love both colors but if I had to pick just one, I would say I have a slight preference for Overheated.
I am really happy with all the items I've tried. I feel both blushes are back-up worthy because I haven't found colors with the same color, quality and shimmer - to me they are both very unique and absolutely perfect.
You can find the NARS Summer Collection now at all NARS counters and stores. The entire collection is limited-edition so I do recommend ordering sooner than later. Available online at NARS, Nordstrom, Sephora, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys New York and all other NARS retailers.
Press samples include the Dual Intensity color items. Lip products purchased by me.