Plum lips are always something I look forward to when we transition into fall each year. I find plum shades to be classic colors and look forward to each year's new take on the shade. There are so many beautiful variations of plum ranging from soft neutrals to reddish plums to deep dramatic vamps. I'm a neutral lip lover so I feel like I can't pull off dramatic colors easily. Also since I have a lot of pigment in my lips, plum colored lipsticks and lip glosses can often pull really red or extremely blue. Nordstrom Beauty has curated a selection of 30 shades on their Trending Now Section featuring dramatic colors for a Velvet Berry Lip. I've partnered with Nordstrom to share my favorite plum lip picks for neutral lip lovers (like myself).
When it comes to plums or dark dramatic lip colors in general I prefer sheerer lipsticks or lipgloss formulas. They are more forgiving on the lips when it comes to fading. The contrast between your natural lip and the lipstick can become obvious when the color starts to wear off. You can extend the wear with a lipliner blended over the lip to help the fading look less obvious. My favorites for plums include Chanel Nude (which isn't really a true nude) and MAC Beurre Creamstick Liner.
My top picks for lip glosses include:
- MAC Lovechild Lipglass is the prettiest mix of purple, gold and rose, on me it goes on purple, on others I've seen it pull more pink, it's universally flattering in my mind and has been a long-time staple in my lip wardrobe
- NARS Sixties Fan Lipgloss is a dark wine in the tube but goes on a sheer reddish plum, if you're a no-shimmer kind of lip person this is a good option for you, it layers well over lipliners and matte lipsticks
- Chantecaille Mulberry Luminous Lipgloss is new for fall, it is a deep wine infused with gold and red and plum shimmers, the coverage is medium to full, you can layer it for more pigment
- Tom Ford Love Bruise Ultra Shine Lipgloss is a soft blue-toned plum, it has a semi-transparent finish but still shows a decent amount of color, there is shimmer in this but it's subtle
- Chanel Pagoda Glossimer has been a long time favorite, I'm so happy they didn't discontinue this shade (many of my favorites have been discontinued), if want my recommendation on just one high-end plum lipgloss, this is my favorite
- MAC Viva Glam VI Lipglass is another classic plum, this one has quite a bit of sparkle in the tube, it has a mix of rose and silver sparkles, but on the lips it's not too sparkly, I've seen this on a number of different skin tones and it looks good on everyone
My top picks for lipsticks include:
- Burberry Blueberry Lip Mist is about as dark as I will go for lips, it's a blue-based plum, but on my lips it pulls more red, your mileage may vary on the color, but I love how it looks so different on everyone I've seen it on, the Lip Mists have this unique lipstick/gel texture that glides on the lips and hugs them so the color really adheres well
- Chantecaille Lotus Lipstick was featured in the fall collection and sold out in all the stores near me, I had to have the store locate it online to ship to me, if you can find it, I highly recommend it, the color has a glossy finish that looks very natural and has quite a bit of color
- MAC Plumful Lustre Lipstick is a sheer blue-toned plum, it's almost identical to Chantecaille Lotus on my lips in terms of color and coverage
- Chanel Confident Rouge Coco Shine is a soft lighter plum, it's one of the few light plums I've been able to find in a lipstick form, if you have darker skin tones or lips you might find this pulls more pinkish rather than plum
- Guerlain Fabulous Rose is new from the Kiss Kiss Shaping Cream formula, there are a number of stunning plums and wines, this one has a lot of shimmer but it melds into the lips naturally so it doesn't look frosty, for a plum I was torn between Fabulous Rose, Cherry Pink and Air Kiss and the artist recommended Fabulous Rose for a warmer plum that would still be natural
For coordinating the rest of your beauty look, I recommend keeping the cheeks and eyes understated. Too much color can be overwhelming if you have a darker plum lip. My absolute favorite go-to blush is NARS Madly. It's a soft beige peach pink color that adds warmth and color to the face that coordinates well with almost any lip color (not just plum, but also nudes, pinks and peaches). For the eyes to keep it simple I like NARS All About Eve and Kalahari Eyeshadow Duos which go well with plum lips and add subtle definition to the eyes. I like that you can layer the shades of Kalahari over the Himalia Dual Intensity Eye Shadows for more intensity. If I need more color I like adding a deep plum or brown along the upper lash lines for definition. I'm still on the hunt for a good plum eyeliner (one that has some shimmer and is really dark) but for now I like darker plum shadows applied with a small smudge brush like MAC Beauty Marked or NARS Subra.
If you're one who prefers neutral lips but want to try something plum with more color, I hope my picks and swatches help give you some ideas on how to wear a more subdued plum. If you're all about color, I highly recommend you check out Nordstrom's Velvet Berry Lip selections.
Do you have a favorite berry or plum-colored lipstick or lipgloss?
I would love to hear what your beauty go-to's are!
I would love to hear what your beauty go-to's are!
Many thanks to Nordstrom for sponsoring this post.