As we transition to the fall season I feel a shift in my mood for makeup to cooler tones and my fragrance preference has changed for deeper more complex kinds of scents. I always look forward to new launches and beauty trends for fall and this season has brought quite a few smaller mini collections rather than color-themed launches (with a few exceptions). There doesn't appear to be any "it" color this season and if right now you're unsure of what to wear for the upcoming fall season I say go for anything! I really don't think you can go wrong with any color this season whether it's shopping your own stash or adding a new lip or nail color. Mauves and plums will always be a classic go-to for the fall and will be wearable all the way through winter. I've teamed up with Nordstrom to round up some of my favorite timeless and classic colors. If you can't wear purplish plums on the lips or cheeks, you may want to opt for light to neutral mauves or reddish plums which I feel are easier to pull off.
Since everyone has different interests and preferences for what they like in beauty, I've split the beauty recommendations by category for lips, cheeks, nails, eyes and fragrance. Many of you have asked for a full dedicated feature on fall fragrance for perfumes and one for home fragrance - I promise to have one on each very soon! I'm testing a few more items and will hope to have reviews over the next two weeks.
Up first are the lip recommendations, my personal favorite. Quite a few of you have asked for neutral light pink-mauve lip recommendations for colors that won't turn too blue or fuchsia on the lips. I have a wide range from light to deep that I like.
- MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande II Lipglass is a really pretty soft neutral mauve lipglass. It has a tiny bit of shimmer and looks very natural on the lips.
- MAC Lipstick in Modesty has been a classic light pink mauve lip color. It's similar to Syrup which is another very pretty color. Modesty has a bit more warmth with more pink. The coverage is more opaque as well. They're very close - some of my friends have told me they can't wear Syrup because it's a bit too cool toned, in that case opt for Modesty!
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfector #07 is a sheer tinted balm. It's also a light mauve color and the formula is a really good one to add a hint of color + hydration.
- Bobbi Brown Luxe Lip Colors are relatively new to me. I discovered them this year and Bobbi is one of the newest shades that is a grege-beige color that doesn't wash me out. It's creamy and gives the lips full coverage with one swipe.
- Diptyque repackaged their Nourishing Lip Balm in tube format this season. It has a nicely hydrating formula that's thick and coats the lips with a veil of moisture. In terms of clear squeeze tube balms I think the AmorePacific Moisture Bound Lip Treatment is still my favorite for sensitive lips that can't tolerate scent. Both are very good though.
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfector #08 is a pretty warm deep plum red. Finish is sheer to medium. The color is deeper and brighter than the rest of the shades in the formula so this shows up better on the lips.
- Bobbi Brown Nourishing Lip Color in Desert Rose is a super creamy rose berry kind of shade. It's a lush full coverage formula and very comforting on the lips.
- Chanel Rouge Allure Ink just launched in eight shades. Most are very bright and vibrant - I bought the only neutral which isn't plum or mauve. Amoureux is a pinky peach color. The verdict is still out on this one. I'll have a more detailed review soon but for now below is a sneak preview swatch.
- Chanel Rouge Coco Stylo in Recit is one of the prettiest plum reds I've tried before. This formula is excellent and I highly recommend it. All the shades are phenomenal in that range.
- Bobbi Brown Luxe Lip Color in Neutral Rose is one of the most classic kinds of warm pink rose colors I can think of.
Next are cheeks. I'm sure by now many of you are already well stocked on plums or mauves for lips. For me finding a coordinating cheek color has been tricky. I used to always gravitate towards peaches, corals or bronze for the cheeks for the summer and finding a good versatile cheek color to go with any variation of plum/mauve was tricky but I have managed to find three.
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure is one I find goes well with the lighter mauve lips or darker lips. For something a bit more neutral with brown and pink mixed in is Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic in Sex on Fire. It has the prettiest soft glow to it (not overly shimmery) so it wears very naturally on the skin while adding color and depth. MAC Blush in Plum Foolery is a classic shimmery plum. The gold shimmer adds an interesting warmth to the skin which I find naturally flattering. In the event you don't do shimmer on the cheeks, you may want to check out MAC Breath of Plum for a matte version.
For a good natural highlight and contour, I don't think it gets more classic than the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow. It goes with everything for me and I love the packaging. The texture is really soft and blendable so it won't give you a harsh contoured look or sharp frost.
For eyes I love a good neutral shimmer whether it's tan, taupe, pink or bronze. Two favorites have been the NARS Dual Intensity Eyeshadows in Himalia (tan) and Telesto (bronze). For fall NARS launched a shimmery warm pink Rigel. These work well as an easy all over wash to brighten the eyes. Mascara wise I've raved about the Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara. I just bought a second tube for my on-the-go makeup bag. It thickens, volumizes, holds the curl and doesn't smudge. It has a big fluffy brush which grabs my skimpy lashes and coats them evenly. I'm so glad I discovered it! Lash curling is always a must and I still find that the MAC Full Lash Curler has been performing really well for my eye shape.
Three shades shown above swatched below alongside a few other colors:
For nails I have yet to see an "it" polish color for fall. I think the two classics you can never go wrong with are a good vamp in which case Chanel Vamp is a classic or a classic nude pink. For me the two best neutral nude pinks are Chanel Organdi or Tom Ford Sugar Dune (paler on me). A new dark almost-black shade called Gris Obscur launched with the Lip Inks. I spotted it in store at counters so it should be available online very soon.
Last but not least are a few fragrances. As mentioned above I'll have a full fall fragrance line up but these are three I'll be transitioning from season to season. First is the Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb which I still think is the perfect date night fragrance and the one my husband loves the most on me. It's one I consider very mainstream but one I think is just so so good in a spicy floral kind of way. I love that the Travel Spray version is indeed a spritzer versus the roller-ball format. Replica Lipstick On is one of the prettiest feminine fragrances that smells like vintage makeup. It's hard to describe in words except that it makes me feel girly without having that overly sweet smell. Le Labo Santal is one I recognize instantly on anyone who wears it whether they are male or female. I actually prefer it in candle form for the home but I love all things with any kind of sandalwood in them.
What colors and scents are you wearing right now as we transition to fall? Are you embracing any on trend makeup shades or wearing classics? There are lots of great new fall beauty launches and each one has been unique in it's own way.
Would love to hear what you're keeping in your fall transition makeup bag or routine right now! For more recommendations Nordstrom has their Fall Beauty Trend Event section with Ultra Pretty Neutrals and Bold Shades of what is trending now at their stores.
Many thanks to Nordstrom for teaming up to sponsor this post. Press samples featured include the Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfectors, Chanel Rouge Coco Stylo, Chanel Vamp and Organdi and Replica Lipstick On.