Edward Bess's Ultra Slick Lipstick ($35 each for 13 oz/3.6g, made in USA) have been a long-time favorite. The first one I bought was Pure Impulse which today still is my holy grail pinky nude. Over the years some shades have come and gone, a few new ones have been added but Pure Impulse is one of the originals that stayed. I ordered mine sight unseen many years ago and couldn't be happier I discovered his line from a photograph in a Bergdorf Goodman catalog. At that time it was the only store that carried is makeup and had I not seen it, I might have just missed out. Today you can find his line at a few more stores. I'd recommend visiting his website edwardbess.com to stay updated on the latest store openings. For online I usually buy his products from Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf Goodman (both owned by the same parent company). Products are also available at Net-a-Porter. If you're in Paris, Colette carries his products in store.
A quick peek at the counter in Bergdorf Goodman:
The Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick is a medium to full coverage fig-scented lipstick. All his shades are creams, as of today there are 13 total. I find there to be a good range from light to deep, from natural to bright so there's bound to be at least one you will like. I have stuck with a few classic neutrals for years such as Pure Impulse, Tender Love, Demi Buff and Night Romance. Edward has been kind to send some over the years and he has a keen eye for matching color to skintones. If you are ever able to meet him in person I highly recommend you do so. It will be a memorable experience!
As many of you may not have immediate in person access to his product I ordered all of his shades to swatch and review for you as a reference. Having played with the line in person on numerous occasions I knew that most of the colors are colors I would wear anyways and his lipstick is so so good I think everyone should own at least one. If I were forced to wear one brand of lipstick the rest of my life it would be Edward Bess's and you can quote me on that.
Texture-wise these are creamy and feel very comforting on the lips. I usually wear them alone without a lipliner although Natural Lip Definer is a classic that works with most of the neutral lipsticks I own, not just in his line but in other brands too. You can find it swatched and compared to a ton of other lipliners here. They are fig scented but it's the best kind, not too sweet and not fake. Lasting power is good as long as you don't eat or snack. Coverage is medium to full.
Onto the colors:
Colors as I see them described below. All are creams so there's no shimmer. The finish has a slightly glossy sheen but I'd say they are more satiny and creamy. They feel amazing on the lips and are among the few that don't make my lips peel by the next day.
- Nude Lotus is a true light pale flesh nude, this is too pale for me to wear alone but it looks amazing layered over brighter corals like Island Blossom
- Naked Blossom is a peachy light nude neutral
- Pure Impulse is my perfect neutral nude
- Island Blossom is the prettiest coral peach that's bright but not garish
- Deep Lust is a classic mahogany brown, looks good on everyone I've seen it on!
- Midnight Bloom is a classic red
- Desert Escape is a neutral medium pink brown (the original one used to be more brown)
- Rose Demure is a cool-toned rose mauve
- Demi Buff is a pinky neutral with a hint of brown
- Tender Love is a medium rose
- Night Romance is a classic raspberry shade (this is my mom's favorite and the only other lipstick she'll wear is by Estee Lauder so for her to like one this is a big deal)
- Blushed Orchid is a cool-toned baby pink
- Endless Dream is the best bright pink I've ever tried, bright but still refined
Swatched on bare lips:
One last look:
The Bergdorf Goodman Rewarding Beauty Event is happening now through the 18th online and in stores. If you're interested in other Edward Bess products you can click on the tag at the bottom of this post to see previous reviews. I'll link a few below:
Black Sea Hair Hero (the most fun review I've ever done)
Daydream Bronzer (in my Summer Bronzer Edit)
Bottom line a winner in all aspects: color selection, texture, packaging (classic!), scent and lasting power. If you're new and want to know where I think you should start for the Bergdorf Goodman Rewarding Beauty Event, I'd say:
- Pick one lipstick color
- Daydream Ultra Luminous Bronzer is my holy grail bronzer, it's not orangey, isn't frosty and gives life to the face
- All Over Seduction is my holy grail cream highlighter, I like Afterglow because it has more color on my skin, but Sunlight is also very good
- His Retractable Buff and Blend Brush is really good and super soft
- If you like neutral-ish kinds of lips, Natural Lip Definer will go with a lot of colors
As you can tell I'm a true Edward Bess fan. His products have never let me down and I love that in a beauty world that is constantly pumping out new innovations that he's kept a very well-edited line of classic staples that will help you look like you but make you feel like a more polished version of yourself without changing a lot.
You can find Edward Bess at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Net-a-Porter, or online at Edward Bess.
Pure Impulse, Demi Buff, Endless Dream, Tender Love, Island Blossom, Rose Demure, Naked Blossom gifted by Edward. All other shades purchased by me.