I'm a huge fan of natural nude lips but finding a good nude that doesn't wash out my complexion can be tricky. Luckily there are a number of shades that exist that work for my pigmented lips and olive skin. I've been testing a number of nude pinks over the past few months - I wanted to share some of my tried and true along with some new discoveries. Everyone has a different definition of "nude" - there are flesh nudes, pink nudes, peachy nudes, dark brown nudes. Depending on skin tone and lip tones you may find certain nudes work better for you with pink tones versus brownish tones. See some other blogger's favorites and reviews on Beauty Professor, Temptalia and Beautezine.
Here are some that I've found work for me. If you're on the hunt for a new neutral I hope this helps you discover some new options.
- By Terry Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge in Nudissimo ($35) is a sheer light nude peachish pink, it has a moisturizing texture with a sheer glossy finish, lasting power is on the shorter side because of the glossy finish but this is a good swipe and go no-fuss sheer
- Tom Ford Lip Color Shine Nubile ($48) is a darker nude pink that has a glossy finish but really good coverage for a shine lipstick, it covers my lip entirely and moisturizes well, lasting power is quite good and these have that soft Tom Ford vanilla scent, it's extremely pricey but worth every penny for the formula and coverage
- Tom Ford Lip Color Pink Dusk ($49) is a classic pink in Tom Ford's classic lipstick formula, it is a full-coverage cream, it can pull a bit light so you may need to layer a bit of gloss on top, if you're darker than Chanel 30/MAC NC35 and need darker pinks, opt for Pink Adobe or Indian Rose if you want a natural pink (swatches here and here)
- Marc Jacobs Lovemarc Lip Gel Role Play ($30) review here, is a dusty rose pink cream, it's easy to wear, has full coverage, lasts long and feels amazing on the lips
- Marc Jacobs Lovemarc Lip Gel Severine ($30) is described as a warm beige, it's a wearable nude beige cream that doesn't wash out the complexion, the Marc Jacobs lip gels have a unique gel-like texture in a solid lipstick, these adhere to the lips and feel slightly thick but feel good on the lips, the formula is creamy and feels moisturizing (note testers at Sephora stores can look less than ideal, but I recommend giving these a try)
- Lipstick Queen Saint Lipstick Pinky Nude ($22) is a 10% pigment lipstick for but those who are not quite ready for full coverage lipstick but want something with more coverage than a gloss, these are described as sheer, moist and incredibly easy to wear with no-shimmer, I used Pink up to the end of the tube many years ago, Lipstick Queen has since expanded the color range, Pink Nude Saint is a perfect nude pink sheer lipstick that I can see as being flattering on a wide range of skintones, texture and wear is really good for a sheer lipstick
- Lipstick Queen Sinner Lipstick Pinky Nude ($22) is a 90% pigment lipstick, Lipstick Queen has corresponding shades in both the Sinner and Saint formula, the colors are pretty close in each formula, Sinner Pinky Nude is more nude while Saint Pinky Nude is more pink, the Sinner formula is a good nude pink that doesn't wash out the complexion, I've been really impressed with the smooth texture and level of coverage, for those who are sensitive to fragranced lip products you will like Lipstick Queen because there is no detectable fragrance
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen Lipgloss Canvas ($28) review here, is a high impact gloss that acts more like a liquid lipstick, it's a holy-grail lip product, I recommend this for anyone (see linked review for more details)
- Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick Pure Impulse ($32) is my holy grail true nude lipstick, it has a slight hint of pink mixed with beige to give the perfect nude lips, it has a soft fig scent, I've gone through two tubes of this over the years, it's a classic nude color that I can wear for any occasion, it has a creamy finish with a moisturizing feel, in my mind Edward Bess can do no wrong
- MAKE Silk Lipstick Cream Pink Clay ($25) is a new brand I've discovered at Barneys, there have been numerous raves about this brand from The Non-Blonde and Café Makeup so I stopped by the counter at Barneys Beverly Hills a few weeks ago, I was thoroughly impressed by all the lipsticks for the rich smooth pigment, it was hard to pick just one color, but I decided on Pink Clay a darker mauve nude pink to try, the formula is truly incredible, it feels like silk on the lips but gives full smooth coverage, I'm definitely going to be adding more colors to my collection in the future
- Le Metier de Beaute Lip Creme in Socialyte ($36) is an exclusive shade to the Neiman Marcus in Downtown Dallas designed by Michael Flores, it's a complex pink, nude, coral, rose, I wish it were available at all Le Metier counters, call the Downtown Dallas counter for more details, I believe it's a limited shade
- Le Metier de Beaute Hydra Creme Lipstick in Amore ($25) is a cream peachy pink that has a brightening effect on my olive skin, in the tube it looks like a darker pink nude but on my lips it goes on a bit lighter and brighter than what I see in the tube, but this is probably just because I have pigmented lips, coverage is medium but layerable with a moisturizing feel
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil Isola Bella ($25) is my perfect nude peach, it's a bit darker than your traditional nude but this is perfect for me because it covers my lip entirely and gives a hint of color so it doesn't wash out the complexion
- YSL Rouge Volupte Shine Nude in Private #9 ($35) review here, is a sheer lipstick that feels like a lip balm, these are good swipe and go lipsticks similar in concept to Chanel Rouge Coco Shines, if you like a no-fuss sheer lipstick, these are good lipsticks that are layerable for more color but with a slightly glossy finish, those who like medium to full coverage will find these too sheer
More close ups and detail swatches, all are clickable for larger detail viewing:
The effects are similar in the fact they are all natural your-lips-but-better kind of shades but each lipstick featured has slightly different undertones, finishes and textures. These aren't all the nudes I've tried or love, but just a few I wanted to feature today. If I had to pick my top five nudes/nude-pinks:
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen Lipgloss in Canvas is the best for a full-coverage nude pink
- Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Pure Impulse is the best pure nude without washing out the complexion
- Lipstick Queen Sinner Pinky Nude is the best true pink-nude lipstick with good coverage
- Marc Jacobs Lovemarc Lip Gel in Role Play is a good pink rose nude with fuller coverage
- Tom Ford Lip Color Shine in Nubile is a good darker nude pink with decent coverage and a shine finish
What's your favorite nude pink lipstick? If you can share your favorites and skintone that would be great, I would love to hear what works for you.
Lipstick Queen Sinner and Saint Pinky Nude and Hourglass Canvas were provided for review courtesy of each brand, all opinions my own, for more see my Disclosure.