Edward Bess recently released a new face cream he calls the Ultra Dewy Complexion Perfector ($56 for 1.79 fl. oz./53 ml). I have been dying to try this for several months but wasn't able to get to a counter to test in person until mid-March at Neiman Marcus Beverly Hills. The Ultra Dewy Complexion Perfector is lightweight tinted cream that acts like a tinted moisturizer/foundation. It has light diffusing properties that makes the skin look glowing and flawless. It comes in four shades, I found both #1 Light and #2 Medium disappeared on my skin when applied along the jawline. I felt like I was in between shades but decided to go with the darker option Medium 02 since I have a slight tan now. The finish is transparent so more forgiving if you don't have an exact match.
I've been testing for a few weeks now and have been impressed with the results. Although it's quite sheer and almost transparent-looking when blended, when applied all over the face it brightens and evens out the entire face in a natural but noticeable way. I found that it made the skin look healthier with a slight dewy glow (not too dewy though). My skin has been relatively clear now so I don't need much coverage (even though I usually like medium-to-full coverage for foundation and powder). I do think it's too sheer for my taste to wear alone (this is just my preference), but it is sufficient with just a light dusting of loose powder to set. I've been using the Edward Bess Cream in Medium 02 several ways:
- all over with powder foundation dusted lightly on top (I like Dolce & Gabbana and Chanel)
- all over with a heavier foundation layered in areas that I want more coverage
- all over with a soft loose powder layered on top
Lasting power is like most other foundations. It holds up quite well until a little after noon and needs a bit of a powder touch up after lunch time. For color comparisons on other foundations I've used/been using:
Shades I used to use but are too light now:
- Edward Bess Satin Cream in Beige is more neutral/olive compared to the Medium Complexion cream (I'm out at the moment so I don't have it to swatch)
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska was the best match for me when the Tinted Moisturizers first came out, although it was slightly too light (I usually mixed in a little darker foundation to make it work), this is lighter and more yellow than the Edward Bess Medium
- Dolce & Gabbana Cream Foundation in Warm 100 (reviewed here) is more yellow and lighter, it's a bit too light for me now (although the powder version in Warm 100 is still a good match)
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Groenland was a recent addition to the line which is a perfect match for me (working my way through a sample now)
- Chanel Perfection Lumiere in 30 Beige is more yellow than the Edward Bess
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm (reviewed here) is more pinkish than the Edward Bess Medium Complexion Cream
I was hesitant to post swatch comparisons because it's difficult to tell what a cream looks like unless blended out and blending out usually makes the foundation disappear on the skin. Please note that the swatches below are not blended out to show what the color looks like straight from the tube. Each has different intensity which affects the way it looks once blended out. Also note that the inside of my arm where I swatch is about 1.5x lighter than my face and the rest of my body right now (I tan quickly).
Left to right: Dolce & Gabbana Cream Foundation Warm 100, NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Alaska, NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Groenland, Edward Bess Ultra Dewy Complexion Perfector in Medium, Chanel Perfection Lumiere 30 Beige, Urban Decay Naked Beauty Balm.
Overall I give it a huge thumbs up because I love the way it makes my skin glow. I would have liked to see a few more color options but the sheerness allows the skin to show through so it's quite forgiving if you don't have an exact match. Based on my recollection of in-store testing, Light seemed to be about 1.5 shades lighter than Medium. Both disappeared on the back of my hand with a little bit of blending.
I purchased my cream from Neiman Marcus Beverly Hills. It's also available online at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Sephora (ingredients listed on Sephora's website).
This post contains affiliate links. For more information see the About/FAQ section.