Diptyque has some wonderful holiday offerings this year. There are a number of gorgeous sets along with three new holiday scents (review to come soon). This year Nordstrom has an impressive exclusive 10 Piece Set ($130 for 10 candles). The set contains Diptyque's iconic scents from the line's 50-year history that includes two signature scents created each decade. Each candle is in the set comes in the baby size usually only found in gift-with-purchase events (I've never seen the baby sizes sold for sale individually). The candles are 1.2 oz each with approximately 12 hour burn time. While the set is expensive, it makes a stunning luxurious gift for the holidays. Sometimes you can't really tell if you'll like a scent until you burn it. This set offers a way to sample a wide range of scents without having to buy the full sizes.
The ten scents in the set include: Thé, Cannelle, Roses, Jasmin, Baies, Tubereuse, Figuier, Feu de Bois, Ambre and Patchouli.
There is a beautiful handout included with a timeline highlighting each scent featured in the set.
I haven't had a chance to try each candle yet (I've been busy burning the three holiday ones). It will most likely take me weeks to try each one to see if I like them enough to buy individually. I will however provide an overview of the scents.
I've purchased all the floral scents individually in the past.
- Baies is a floral scent (one of their best sellers) which is a mixed bouquet of roses and blackcurrant leaves
- Jasmin is a soft jasmin scent (smells like the real thing)
- Roses smells like soft roses without being too harsh or floral
- Tubereuse smells like the tubereuse flower
- Patchouli is the best Patchouli scent I've smelled, it's not too herbal or woody, it's a warm earthy scent that seems to have a slight hint of soft vanilla
- Figuier is a warm fig-wood scent, it's a fresh fig and one of my favorites in the line
- Feu de Bois is a smoky firewood scent with a hint (very slight) of blackberry
- Ambre is a warm incense-like scent with a mix of wvetiver and patchouli, enhanced with radiant anise seed, insolent spices, mysterious incense, cistus and tonka bean, it's not my favorite but I will have to burn to really tell
- Cannelle has a mix of warm, dry, spicy, and aromatic bark from the East, it has a fresh scent
- Thé is a dark strong tea smelling scent with a herbal feel
Overall a lovely and impressive set. It would make the ultimate gift for fragrance aficionados. You can always break down the set and use the baby candles as add-ons or stocking stuffers for the holiday as well. I'm enamored with the whole boxes set and can't wait to try each in the upcoming months. Diptyque candles are among my favorite, although priced at the high end for scented candles worth every penny. It's something you have to try to really see what the fuss is about. Once you try these there is no going back to other brands (although I still adore lower priced candles from Henri Bendel and still love Jo Malone and Fresh for higher end candles).
Here's a quick comparison of the sizes of the candles in this set. (I'll call them the baby size.) The baby sizes in this set are also sometimes found in gift with purchases which is the 1.2 oz size. The small size is the 2.4 oz ($28 each). Regular sized candles are 6.5 oz ($60 each). More detailed comparison to come in a follow up post.
The 10 piece set is exclusive to Nordstrom and Nordstrom.com (limited for the holidays). You can't beat free shipping and beautiful packaging. If you have a Nordstrom near you with Diptyque, you may want to call the fragrance department to check if they have any upcoming events. I received a mailer for their yearly customer appreciation night. There are usually events in early December at stores and they often have gift with purchases so it will be a good time to take advantage of the gift offerings if you have a list of items you've been saving up for. In my experience minimum buys tend to be around $100 to $150ish.
Have you purchased any Diptyque sets this year? Diptyque fans - what are your favorite scents?