Tom Ford Skin Illuminator in Fire Lust ($65 for .68 fl oz/20 ml, limited-edition) is new for summer. It's a sheer luminous peachy-pink illuminator that can be used as a highlighter or mixed in with your foundation/tinted moisturizer. Stores have limited quantities, I recommend calling your Tom Ford counters soon to order if you're interested.
Tom Ford's Fire Lust has a peachy-pink base loaded with golden shimmers. The shimmer is visible but not over-the-top. There are some very tiny gold flecks that show up on the skin but it's not frosty or glittery like NARS Super Orgasm. On me (Chanel B30/NARS Groenland Tinted Moisturizer) Fire Lust is very sheer but still visible. The peachy color is close to my skintone so it gives that barely there glow. I've tried it several ways. My thoughts on each method:
- Worn alone as a blush gives more of a soft warm peachy glow to the skin. It's not dark enough or pigmented enough to be worn as a blush for me. For a similar color with more pigment I'd recommend Giorgio Armani's Fluid Sheer #11.
- Worn underneath as a base for blush/bronzer basically makes the illuminator disappear unless you use a semi-sheer blush or bronzer like Tom Ford Frantic Pink or Gold Dust Bronzer, layered together creates a soft blush/bronzed contour with depth and glow.
- Worn over blush as a highlight creates a really pretty luminous glow-from-within effect (this is probably my favorite way to wear it).
- Mixed in with foundation worn all over the face gives a nice added glow that isn't too glowy, however, I would probably reserve this for special going out occasions only.
A few more photos and swatches. I love that the cap pulls off easily and that the bottle has an easy to use pump:
Swatched heavy, then blended:
Many have been asking how Tom Ford's Fire Lust compares to NARS Orgasm and Super Orgasm Illuminators. I don't own Super Orgasm but was able to get a small sample at the counter to try. I think NARS Orgasm is close enough Tom Ford Fire Lust that you don't need both, but the Tom Ford is really beautiful and I think it is worth every penny. Below you can see the natural glowy effects of the Tom Ford vs Nars. The differences I see:
- Tom Ford Fire Lust is darker and peachier, more luminous with a natural shimmer/glow (but still sheer on the skin)
- NARS Orgasm has a similar effect but appears lighter, less peachy and more frosty with more pigmented shimmers
- NARS Super Orgasm is more pinky/peachy in the base and has the most pigment and color but it also has the most gold shimmer with tiny glitters (making it the most glitzy)
Some more swatches blended out on the skin, same items for each set below but different views to try and show the undertones/shimmers that are different with each illuminator:
Overall a stunning luxurious liquid highlighter. On my skin it stayed put into the early afternoon although it did get a bit dewy with the natural oils on my skin near late afternoon. In Southern California the weather is mildly warm. I do think in warmer summer weather lasting power will diminish. It has a soft subtle sweet scent that disappears after a minute. Application is easy with fingers or a foundation brush. You can layer the product for more glow but not more color since it's on the sheer side.
If you're on the darker side I think you might not see if show up on your skin since it's very sheer. If I were 1-2 shades darker I am not sure that I would be able to see anything other than a very subtle glow. If you've tried this please chime in the comments with your thoughts and skintone.
If you are at all interested in this I'd recommend you call your nearest Tom Ford counter to track one down soon. I don't know if the online retailers will restock. All said, it is similar to the NARS Orgasm Illuminator ($30 for 1.1 oz/30 ml) so if you can't track one down, this will give a similar effect.
I have a partial list of stores that have a full beauty counter, if you have more info add in the comments below:
- Bergdorf Goodman in New York
- Neiman Marcus Ala Moana, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Beverly Hills, Fashion Island, Houston and Dallas NorthPark, Chicago Michigan Ave
- Saks Fifth Avenue New York